Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Book Vs. Movie

Hollywood has always turned to books for its latest inspirations. Lately, there are many national bestsellers that have been adapted for the silver screen, such as The Time Traveler's Wife, My Sister's Keeper, and Angels & Demons just to name a few.

I sometimes struggle with these movie versions of books that I really love. Although I try not to compare a movie to the book, I can't help noticing the instances where the director's vision took a departure from the author's intentions. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to watch the movie as a separate form of entertainment. Since the interpretation of a book is heavily influenced by the reader's personal experiences, I try to keep in mind that the directors, producers, and screenwriters have also interpreted the book in their own way. But, that isn't always the case since moviemakers have their eyes on box office sales.

I recently saw Angels & Demons and didn't think it was as exciting or as informative as the book. They left out vital pieces of the story and it became more of an action movie which was entertaining nonetheless. I want to see The Time Traveler's Wife and My Sister's Keeper soon. Although I'm aware that there were some major changes to the storylines, I'll just have to keep an open mind as I watch both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blog Design by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates

Back to TOP